Severe weather can happen at any time and you should understand the risks and have a plan of action to make sure your family is safe during a tornado, thunderstorm and lightning. Below is some valuable information from the Ready.gov website. Remember to be safe and take shelter in the bath and shower houses at Rainbow Acres.
During Thunderstorms and Lightning
- Use your battery-operated NOAA Weather Radio for updates from local officials.
- Avoid contact with electrical equipment or cords. Unplug appliances and other electrical items such as computers and turn off air conditioners. Power surges from lightning can cause serious damage.
- Avoid contact with plumbing. Do not wash your hands, do not take a shower, do not wash dishes, and do not do laundry. Plumbing and bathroom fixtures can conduct electricity.
- Stay away from windows and doors, and stay off porches.
- Do not lie on concrete floors and do not lean against concrete walls.
- Avoid natural lightning rods such as a tall, isolated tree in an open area.
- Avoid hilltops, open fields, the beach or a boat on the water.
- Take shelter in a sturdy building. Avoid isolated sheds or other small structures in open areas. Safest place at Rainbow Acres are bath and shower houses.
- Avoid contact with anything metal—tractors, farm equipment, motorcycles, golf carts, golf clubs, and bicycles.
- If you are driving, try to safely exit the roadway and park. Stay in the vehicle and turn on the emergency flashers until the heavy rain ends. Avoid touching metal or other surfaces that conduct electricity in and outside the vehicle.
- Monitor a NOAA Weather Radio or have a weather app on your cellphone
- Know where to go for shelter, preferably within walking distance. Safest place at Rainbow Acres are bath and shower houses.
- Be ready to go if a TORNADO WATCH is issued
- GO IMMEDIATELY when a TORNADO WARNING is issued
- Wherever you find shelter stay away from windows
- Don’t plan on staying inside your RV
- Bring your pets in a carrier or on a leash
- Grab only essentials (purse, ID, cash, medications) and only if easily accessible
- Don’t waste time searching for anything
- Practice your sever weather drill periodically